Eggplant is a vegetable well known throughout the world, not only for its versatility in what has to do with gastronomy but because it has a high concentration of nutrients that benefit health.
In antiquity, it was thought that it was a toxic food and not suitable for human consumption due to the color that characterizes it.
Nevertheless, with the passage of time it was incorporated in the feeding plans of many populations and, in this way, it was verified that it kept many medicinal qualities.
At present it is recommended for all types of diets and, because of its great antioxidant content, it is attributed anticancer qualities, slimming and antiaging.
Despite this, many still do not know how beneficial it is to consume them regularly and how they contribute to the general well-being of the body.
For this reason, we want to share 7 interesting reasons why you should increase your consumption.
Do not miss it!
1. Protects cardiovascular health
This vegetable has a high content of fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B vitamins whose effects on the body contribute to protecting heart health.
Its high content of flavonoid substances is related to a decrease in the risk of developing chronic cardiovascular diseases.
2. Keeps cholesterol at bay
Continuing with the above benefits, it is important to mention that eggplant is one of the best foods to control blood cholesterol levels.
It has a compound called chlorogenic acid which is one of the most potent antioxidants that can be found in plants.
It is proven that this natural acid decreases excess lipids in the arteries and also confers anti-cancer, antiviral and antimicrobial properties.
On the other hand, vitamins and minerals improve circulatory health and prevent fats from remaining attached to the arteries.
3. It reduces the risk of cognitive diseases
Regular consumption of eggplant has interesting benefits on brain and nervous system health.
Its antioxidants effectively fight free radicals in the environment and, in turn, improve memory and cognitive abilities.
In its shell has a substance called nasunin whose antioxidant powers facilitate the transport of nutrients to brain cells.
It also increases blood flow to the brain, so it prevents age-related mental disorders.
4. Combats fluid retention
The diuretic properties of eggplant benefit patients with fluid retention and inflammation problems.
Prepared in water becomes one of the best remedies to alleviate the conditions associated with these problems.
5. Combat excess abdominal fat
Although it seems incredible, eggplant is one of the best foods to combat the excess fat that builds up in the abdomen.
While it is not a miracle product or something similar, its consumption is an excellent complement for those who are trying to lose weight.
- This benefit is explained by its powerful diuretic and depurative effect, which contributes to the removal of waste that is retained in the body.
- It is also a stimulant of liver functions, which is key to a correct metabolism of fats.
- In addition, its natural fibers improve the digestive processes and prolong the feeling of satiety to curb the insatiable desire to ingest calories.
6. Prevents premature aging
The antioxidants contained in this prodigious vegetable have a direct effect on the protection of the body’s cells.
Its regular intake decreases the risk of various types of cancers and chronic pathologies linked to the aging process.
To top it off, it prevents the early loss of collagen and elastin, keeping the skin looking young and healthy.
7. Strengthens bones and joints
Consuming several servings of this food could help reduce the risk of diseases that affect the bones and joints.
- It is a source of vitamin A, B, C and E, in addition to minerals such as calcium, magnesium and iron.
- All these nutrients added to their folic acid, protect bone health and control the inflammatory processes that lead to the development of pathologies such as arthritis.
- As you have just noticed, it is a complete food that can provide multiple benefits in the medium and long-term.
Come enjoy it on a regular basis, either through drinks or delicious preparations.